[Typo3-documentation] Let's get started

Jean-Marie Schweizer jms at marktauftritte.ch
Sun Jun 13 21:34:25 CEST 2004

First, I want to thank you Michael for setting up this mailing list so
quickly.

As far as I understood Kasper he'd like to have 1 documentation for the
installation process. Although I understand Peter's preference of
splitting it up into many different once I do see the advantage of
having one single document.

There is a lot of redundant information with the installation process
that is very similar to every operating system that will benefit to be
combined and structure.

I'm thinking of owner and permission issues, safe-mode, symbolic links
etc. I personally like to focus on the installation packages provided by
Michael and Ingmar and go from there whereever more detailed information
is needed. As it seems those packages are not always working for
everyone. Furthermore if somebody wants to be up to date he probably
like to upgrade Typo3 by hand. I  see some work there too to get more
into how to do that, especially how to install Typo3_core only once to
make the upgrading life easier.

As I mentioned before I started on the overall installation document
focussing on manual installation. I started out with debian and
additional information about confixx. I am waiting on feedback from
Michael before I continue.

I registered an extension name on typo3.org -> doc_install_guide.

It should be set up for a closed group to work on but  I don't know much
about how to work on that with several people at the same time.

There are more things to think about and I'd like to get your feedback
on it.

1. Kasper, I assume you still prefer the 1-install-doc conzept?

2. Who of the programmers will help use writers when we run into problems?

3. Wiki seems to be a fast way to build up a a knowledge base. The
question here is who will strucutre the information and how.

4. Should more than one person write on a documentation? If yes, how? Is
somebody going to help us setting up such a team system?

5. What are the documentations that need to be upgraded, fixed, written?

6. What about the videos. Do you think, a written documentation is
needed when we could make a video?

This is exciting. Let's see how far we can come.

Jean-Marie