[Typo3-documentation] Previous message #3 (was: Fwd: Re: Help with Installation documentation?)

Michael Stucki mundaun at gmx.ch
Sun Jun 13 20:59:28 CEST 2004

Subject: Re: Help with Installation documentation?
Date: Samstag, 12. Juni 2004 21.35
From: jms at marktauftritte.ch
To: mundaun at gmx.ch
Cc: peter.kindstrom at abc.se, ledj-typo3 at dcmedia.biz

Hi all

Since there seems to be an interest to be working on documentations we
should try to combine our efforts and work together.

I've started on an overall installation documentation and have sent a
early not ready to be seen version to Michael to have a look at.

Before anyone starts inventing the wheel several times we should make
sure that nobody wastes time with writing because it already has been
done.

I personally rather write than try figuring out for hours why something
works or not especially when I know that somebody already knows the
answer to the problem. On the other I know from experience that if a
documentation should be worth something every single step has to be
done by yourself before you can write about it.

Therefore I came up with a wish list:

1. An independent mailing list for documentation writers where the
writers can exchange thoughts etc. (similar to the dev list). It should
be readable by a news reader (some of us are not programmers and like
the comfort of it). The mailing list can be public with the option of
making it private if there is a need to do it.

2. Typo3 developers help with the problems the writers run into while
they are taking the steps themselves (hence the mailing list).

3. Also there will be some help needed to set up an extension for the
documentations so more than one person can work with it (like CVS?)

Again. Writers are no programmers so it would be nice if the
programmers help the wirters so that the writers can focus on writing a
good documentation.

I also want to wait with any major documentation changes until the book
by the Typo3 comes out to see what needs to be added or improved.

For now I think focussing on a overall installation documentation is
worth the time being spent.

@Michael

Could you set us up with the mailing list and get the approval from
whoever needs to approve?

@Lars
Have you seen my post in the mailing list about your Debian
documentation?

@Peter
Let's continue on this topic on a more public level (as soon as mailing
list is set up). I think there are may out there that like to
contribute and actually have to ability and strength to do it. I'd love
to here your thoughts.

I am convinced that it is crucial to Typo3's success that people can
find easier access to it. Documentations are a great way to secure that
the programming work is not lost and will be acknowledged.

Jean-Marie