[Typo3-documentation] Extension Documentation

Ingmar Schlecht ingmars at web.de
Tue Jul 20 17:05:30 CEST 2004

Christian Trabold wrote:
>> OK, here's a list of possible URLs:
>>
>> (1) http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/tt_news
>> (2) http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/tx_ttnews
>> (3) http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/ext/tx_ttnews

Sorrry, I actually meant:
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/ext/tt_news
not:
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/ext/tx_ttnews

> The second is very complex and hard to understand (there is no extension
>  tx_ttnews nor ttnews -> confusing).

ACK.

> The third is the best one, but it seems to keep a redundance. The prefix
> tx_ already says that it is an extension. And so does the folder ext/.
> There is no need for a tx_ prefix in the third method IMHO.

Yes, s.a.

> But here's an example of what I meant earlier. What do you think about
> these two URL "concepts"?
>
> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/tt_news
> -> find anything about tt_news incl. tutorials, manual etc.

There will only be few extensions for which multiple documents exist.
Many will just have one page of documentation, thus your concept would
lead to many pages (e.g. /tt_news) containing nothing but ONE link to
its subpage (/tt_news/manual). In that case it would be better if the
manual would be located directly at /tt_news.

> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/tt_news/documentation/
> -> the place for docs about the plugin tt_news

Make it shorter, /docs instead of /documentation.

> http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/tt_news/documentation/manual
> -> the place of the manual for tt_news

I'm no native english speaker, thus I have a question: What's the
difference between the word "documentation" and "manual". I always
thought it would be more or less the same.
Consequently I regard /docs/manual as redundant.

> <http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/documentation/extensions/tt_news/manual/>
> -> tt_news manual

This gets incredibly long.

My proposal is:

If there is only one doc for an extension, just locate it at:
   /ext/tt_news

If there is more than one document, make an overview at:
   /ext/tt_news
the turorial for tt_news should then be at:
   /ext/tt_news/tutorial
and the reference at
   /ext/tt_news/reference

If you agreed to that, I would ask Kasper to link the extensions that
don't have any docs to http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/ext/extkey

> PS: Why is the index.php visible? Is something like realURL possible?

Yes, that's really bad. I would like this to be hidden.
So the link would be just like this:
http://wiki.typo3.org/PageInTheWiki
However, we can talk about this later.

cheers,