[Typo3-doc] Different target groups for documentation --> Terms

Peter Kindström peter.kindstrom at abc.se
Wed Dec 1 19:33:52 CET 2004

Hi JoH,
> The main groups are:
> + Developers
> + Administrators
> + Users

> ... a developer is someone who is creating extensions and or core parts of
> the system. This is not to be mistaken with someone who is creating
> Templates, Design or things like that. A developer is someone who is working
> _for_ TYPO3 in the first line and _with_ TYPO3 in the second.
>
> ... an administrator is someone who is setting up or maintaining the system
> for endusers. Usually he is an Admin-User in the BE and/or has shell access
> to the server. He creates TS-Templates, installs and removes Extensions
> setting them up to fit the endusers needs and cares for updates and patches
> of the source. An administrator is someone who is working _with_ TYPO3 in
> the first line but focused on the BE.
>
> ... a user is someone who has restricted BE-Access. This might be anyone
> from a simple editor that has access only to certain parts of the pagetree
> up to a chief editor that controls the whole page tree and all the work of
> the other editors. He might create HTML-Templates, design and content. A
> user is someone who is working _with_ TYPO3 in the first line but focused on
> the FE.
  [snip]
 > But first of all: Do you agree with me that we should use the
 > terms described above?

I agree!
This is nearly exactly as I see it! But I think we should use
the term Editor instead of User. It is more disticnt, because
even administrators and developers are sometime users (like BE
user/FE user inside Typo3)...

I have added this definition into my own suggested document
"Typo3 Introduction":
http://www.infolagret.se/typowiki/index.php/Introduction#Types_of_users

Is that ok with you, Joey?

> So the main missions must be:
> - Reviewing and restructuring the docs for administrators
> - Creating and translating docs for users

I have started this a little. Look at my suggestion at:
http://www.infolagret.se/typowiki/index.php/Administrators
But there is a long way to go before it will be finished.

About Editor docs I have also a suggestion:
   http://www.infolagret.se/typowiki/index.php/Editors
I think most of the information already exists. We "just" have
to restructure that too!

--

/Peter Kindström