[TYPO3-dam] DAM and (TCA)default values question/idea

Torsten Schrade schradt at uni-mainz.de
Mon Aug 8 17:49:57 CEST 2011

Hello list,

and yet another DAM question ;) For a project I need a mechanism that
will write standard field values into the DAM table during file upload.
Normally, this would be a clear case for TCAdefaults.

But to my knowledge and after some google activities it seems that DAM
doesn't respect TCAdefaults. Correct? At least it didn't work for me,
neither with 'TCAdefaults.tx_dam.creator = test' in PageTSConfig nor
with 'page.TCAdefaults.tx_dam.creator = test' in UserTSConfig...

Anyways, what do you think of the idea of having the possibility to set
default values in DAM not only on a Page/User but on a directory level?
This can be really convenient if your editors upload files to several
locations and you would like to set different default values.

Syntax could be like this:

DAMdefaults {
  foldername {
   fields {
     loc_city = x
     loc_country = DEU
   }
   subfoldername {
    fields {
      # loc_city from parentfolder will be overidden
      loc_city = y
    }
   }
  }