[TYPO3-dam] DAM book + Coulds

Georg Kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Sat Feb 20 05:02:12 CET 2010

Hey Fernando,

Fernando Arconada wrote:
> Did you tried s3fs in production?

YEP;

- We configured a typo3-dam-outsourced-to-s3 setup with production data
(some +300mb images & ~ 200.000 content-records in the db), with a fuse
based file-sysystem to s3, some +6 month ago, and got it's BE- and FE-
Performance positively tested & accepted. (that is mich faster);

- FE-Tests were run with with ab & jmeter (from 10 separate servers) &
BE-tests (uploading new docs & images) were run with Selenium for 10
Workstations simultaniously.

- Main benefits were:
a) +90% less requests & traffic (img, css, js) to the originating
T3-Server and ~70% less load there; which traslates into: the
business-owner has to buy/rent/operate/much less hwardware.

b) +50% faster delivery of the above outsourced files
see above;

c) Even the CDN features of S3 worked out fine. (add another 30% for
faster delivery of static files);

However, the client then decided against an outsourced
Cloud-Data-Storage & CDN, mainly caused by (inadequat) fears in regards
to "do we want to out-source all our data ?";

Eigther way:
 > implementation could be good for hosting were you cant install software
 > in the server

The forget about it!

Clients who cant afford an own server (and be them virtual, but then
with root accounts) are not worth to push their T3-Site into the cloud.

Right, there are some funny and supposed even fone working examples of
Wordpress-PHP-S3 for wordpress-dummies being hosted @ a shared host, but
that's IMHO missing the point.

In other words: Professionally Usage the Cloud (ec2 or S3) and other
AWS-Services wont pay off for avoiding to upgrade to the next "larger"
hosting package which would be abavail to +20 USD/month.

hth regards georg

my>  experience with current