[TYPO3-dam] clean filenames at file upload on Windows

Mario Šargač sargac at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 14:05:17 CET 2010

Hi Lorenz,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check the Media Sysfolder TSconfig asap. I
can confirm the patch is working, but before I post the confirmation to
the bug tracker, I'd like to ask you what do you mean with "non utf-8
system" -- is it a "file-system" or "db-system" you had on mind?

This installation uses completely utf-8 database with all connections,
while the file system is native Windows, which is not utf-8, hence the
problems with file names. I've heard Windows uses Windows-1252 charset,
but I'm not sure for that yet, as I've heard it uses UCS-2 on other
discussions.

It's a Windows Server 2008 R2 OS. So my interpretation is that the
problem comes from the fact that a Typo3 utf-8 db driven system file
manager writes down a utf-8 characters to the filename that Windows
can't digest. And vice-versa --> Typo3 has problems digesting a Windows
filename with special characters in it (occurs in files bypassing Typo3
file manager, a ftp, scp,...), when "utf-8" backend is enabled.

~ Happy New Year ~

Mario