[TYPO3-dam] Media types and file types

Uschi Renziehausen typo3news at otherone.de
Wed May 28 17:38:15 CEST 2008

georg kuehnberger wrote:

> Options would be:
>   'psd'    => 'image/photoshop',
>   'psd'    => 'image/x-photoshop',
>
> & yes pls. add it in the bugtracker;
> (wiser chapse/sses than me might decide on +/- x)

Ok, do you have an idea what m4v should become? There we end up under
undefined. The knowing ones should go through the current settings and
add whatever file type (not necessarily mime type) is missing.

Just to understand how it all works together: what is impact of setting
it to photoshop or x-photoshop. What does the x stand for.

>>> I don't think this can be modified at all...
>>>
>> Well you *can* do it, I tried it out. I am just very unsure whether
>> you *should* do it. As I had the idea, others might have it as well,
>> and in case this has some bad side effects that should be mentioned in
>> the docs. Can you or someone else be so kind and give me a little more
>> inside?
>> Ciao, Uschi
>
>  From a documentation point of view NO, this should IMHO not be
> recommended. reasoning: The TYPO3-Developer should better use Georg's /
> Francois's advice on changing it via the TCA, that is via an Extensions;
> reasoning: File-Extensions / MIME and Media-Types dont change that often
> and are "somewhat" standardized. So it should IMHO rather NOT be the
> task of an editor (or any person accidently owning BE-admin-rights) to
> change those.

I somehow disagree with a policy 'Make it hard to do, so idiots won't do
it.' As we see from the above examples (psd and m4v are missing right
now) it might be necessary to assign unforseen filetypes to the
appropriate main media type.

Editors will have to be able to select certain file types and that
means, they need to find them first. Their comfort should have highest
priority.

Therefore assigning a main type should be easy for everybody who needs
to do it and is entitled to do it. No knowledge of PHP should be
required for it. Perhaps we should put this one on our todo list?

> see also:
> class.tx_dam.php
> ---
>     /**
>      * Register a file type
>      * This extends or overwrite the internal list of mime types which
> is used to detect a media type and a file type.
>     function register_fileType ($fileExtension, $mimeType, $mediaType='') {

Does this method ever get called inside DAM? Can you tell me where DAM
puts the media type tree together? Beware, I am not a coder, but there
seems to be no other way to find stuff out about DAM but exploring the code.

> BTW-2: This "T3_VAR" "feels" extremely outdated; together with Francois
> I'd vote for putting it into $TYPO3_CONF_VARS;

Aaah, I had never heard of T3_VAR so far, so it is a history thing
again. In this case I am with Francois and you, just because
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS is what everybody will be familiar with.

> PS at Uschi: Thanks for your excellent efforts on documentation so far.

Well, I have not produced much yet, because I simply do not know enough.
Feeling a little bit like a mouse in a wheel with this job. Running,
running and getting nowhere.

Prosit, Uschi