[TYPO3-dam] dam_frontend and FE Users

Simon Child simon at srchild.com
Tue Aug 19 01:01:13 CEST 2008

"Tony Lush" <tlush at advancewm.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.2205.1202315338.24404.typo3-project-dam at lists.netfielders.de...
> dam_frontend -- Files show when not logged in
>
> We want files to only be available to logged in front end users who have
> access permissions.

The readme.txt in dam_frontend 0.1.2 still says:

* Set up download restrictions via categories for fe_users / fe_groups (not
finished yet!)

Is this under active development (last update on TER was this month, so I
think so)?

Any news on when this feature will be finished?

Or is there another DAM download manager that offers a similar access
control feature?

I am converting a frontpage(!) site to TYPO3. It has about 300 files for
download - powerpoints, pdf, utilities, zips, etc. It seems ideal for a DAM
approach to apply meta data to each asset and then allow fe searching and
displaying, but I need to limit downloads to loggd in fe users.

dam_frontend seems to offer the possibility of listing files to non-logged
in users, using metadata, whilst only activating the download link for
logged in users, which is exactly what I want to do!

Alternative seems to be a non-DAM approach - a lot of manual coding of
download links and descriptions using  naw_securedl or similar to protect
the files.

--
Simon Child