[TYPO3-dam] Does DAM die? 3

Daniel Hinderink daniel at typo3.org
Fri Sep 28 10:48:30 CEST 2007

Hi Mirco,

> Actually, it is the job of the "TYPO3 Association" to coordinate
> development
> and information about it.

Development of the core, not development of extensions.
And even then, it's goal is to foster development, meaning to sponsor it
when necessary. Sponsoring did not work with René and nobody else applied.

Don't expect the Association to make things happen without initiative
and capavity coming from the community, it won't work. If it would, the
T3A would be a software company, which it isn't and doesn't plan to become.

> In any case the "Dam" should be there to
> exchange the Filemanager in TYPO3 4.0 (mabe TYPO3 V5) and is ,therefore,
> a very important and crucial extension.

On sunday we had a meeting on this matter, Ben has already replied to
this. However I think it would be best to do exactly as you say and
build parts of the DAM into the core. I think the details on how and
what to adapt are a difficult topic that need a meeting to be decided
and worked upon. I think Stucki will raise this issue soon.

It will take a lot of work to make this happen anyway.

This will also benefit 5.0, because the question about integration will
also bring about solutions for the user interface that will live longer
then the code does.

Finally, the CR does not replace a DAM. What David showed at the
conference is a rather nice piece of software built on top of the CR.
Certainly JSR 258 does specifiy quite a lot of useful functions and
procedures for Digital Asset Management, but the software that puts this
in the CMS context is yet to be built.

I hope this is helping some of you to find topics and opportunities you
want to contribute to.

cheers,

Daniel