[TYPO3-dam] Does DAM die? 3

Mirco Rohloff mirco at rohloff.de
Sat Sep 22 12:56:08 CEST 2007

Hi there,

I can only say yes to your opinion (Andreas & Jonas), but I hope it won't start all over again
with the same thread as in July. We then had discussed all necessary
framework conditions for a successful development of the "Dam" in the near
future. Unfortunately, after that nothing happend. A month ago I wrote to
Sven Gähle how it goes on with the Dam, but he answered me, he would not
participate at the project anymore. As I was curious how the story will go
on, I called Rene Fritz to ask him about it, and if he could give me a hand
with some adjustments to our solution. I sent him my "list of whishes" and
heared nothing more of him since, despite of the actually very nice
conversation on the phone :-).

Why the development of the Dam has stopped I couldn't find out yet. But I
think the main problem is that there is nobody who intends to inform anyone
else about the further development of the project. Here and there you get
bits of information  about it, but unfortunately, the people in charge won't
give any information to people on the mailing list, at the time they stop
working on the project, maybe because they cannot get any further
momentarily or give up completely. There are only announcements like

http://www.typo3partner.net/news/newsdetails/artikel/dam-support-by-typo3partner.html
http://lists.netfielders.de/pipermail/typo3-project-dam/2007-July/001339.htm

Actually, it is the job of the "TYPO3 Association" to coordinate development
and information about it. In any case the "Dam" should be there to exchange the Filemanager in TYPO3 4.0 (mabe TYPO3 V5) and is ,therefore, a very important and crucial extension.

Companies and developer will invest in the Dam only if we have a decent and reliable aim.
I hope, on the Developer Days some people would be there to take on with this topic. If not, we will have to ask us in about another two months:

Who  killed the DAM? !!

With regards,

Mirco