[TYPO3-dam] handling data outside of teh document root

Krystian Szymukowicz t33kRE.MO.VE. at RE.MO.VE.prolabium.com
Wed May 23 09:51:45 CEST 2007

Thomas Hempel wrote:
> I don't think so, because it doesn't solve the problem, that the files
> should not be accessible dirctly from the browser. But I think I didn't
> mentioned that in the first post. ;-)

The filename in DAM is not so important. There is a lot of fields and
atributes that describe file in DAM.

May proposal is to make a little tweak to DAM so every uploaded file get
random filename. This way even if the file is in the area accesible by
browser there is no way to guess its filename and get it witout FE
application.

Of course FE application can't pass the link to the file directly. File
must be send by opening a proper stream. Look here
"http://pl2.php.net/header" and search for "function dl_file($file)".

A filename for a stream could be get from a special field in DAM file
properties: "File download name". A description of that field is: "A
file name which should be used to download the file in a potential
frontend application."

What do you think?

--
greetings