[TYPO3-dam] Any new news?

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Mon Jul 16 10:51:46 CEST 2007

Hi Daniel,

> Reason 2: there is in my humble opinion no other option that getting
> René in a position to continue his development efforts on the DAM.
> The reason is, that there are may be two other developers of his class I
> have ever met, so that chances finding any in the TYPO3 project are,
> from my pov, naught.
>
> While others might be able to supply patches (and even those effort have
> been of varying quality due to the fact that people did not understand
> the DAM well enough), I do not see anyone able to actually take DAM to a
>   2.0 except René.

Because of the complicated construction, I agree. However, I do not think
that it's not possible that one day DAM can have a broad development team
like TYPO3 has.

> Reason 4: The root of the "news+++ Extension"-problem is the inability
> to cooperate.

The root of the news+++ Extension was truely a different one (which I still
don't understand). However, it was definitely not the reason of the key
developer being unavailable for any sort of input.

> It is always easier to fork, then to dive into the problem and clean up
> together. This is essential competition. The one big failure your email is
> a symbol for, is this: not being able to come to trusted while still open
> partnerships.

After two years of frustration, I understand Bens initiative.

> I still hope this initiative can become an example solution for this
> fundamental problem.

I don't think that a similar situation will happen ever again in TYPO3 land.
But I really hope that your initiative will become a success in common.

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out