[TYPO3-dam] Any new news?

Patrick Gaumond patrick at typo3quebec.org
Sat Jul 14 15:20:06 CEST 2007

Daniel, Ben, René and others,

I just need to share my thoughts about this.

First, I'm very new to actually using DAM but have followed the effort
since it was first published as a project years ago.

Yes I'm talking about:
http://typo3.org/development/projects/digital-asset-management/

And sadly, I must say that I share most Ben's fears as René like Kasper
have made amazing stuff for TYPO3 in the past but both had their
"disappearing" period for too much time to bring confidence into
viability of those "corner stone" projects.

I remember seeing a brand new release of TYPO3 3.6 and then Kasper is on
vacation and not visible for 2 months (at least).

We've also seen René doing update on almost a daily schedule then...
Silence for months. I don't want this to look like personal attacks! I
don't want to know why people disappear, it's just "factual".

Daniel must remember how much I care for perceptions in general in the
TYPO3 project. I also understand that Ekki's email is suppose to address
those fears but still, as long as DAM isn't in Core (and SVN!) and
supported by a team (more than 2 people), I will probably get some doubt
about support in the long run.

The TYPO3 core has been sent to SVN and a Core Team has taken
maintenance and I think that no one can disagree that features and bug
fixing is in a weaker state that before.

Kasper still produce core-code and commit his stuff. He still has some
kind of veto status (see recent workspace and pagetree work) and this is
all fine.

DAM was supposed to be put into core more than a year ago (for 4.0 ?
can't remember) and I still think it's the way to go if TYPO3 don't want
to loose the pole in Enterprise where DAM is more likely to be a central
issue.

Right now my experience tell me that people want to use Alfresco
(current trend in North America at least) and the Alfresco people are
trying to add CMS stuff into their solution. We should put effort into
making DAM rock solid and features-a-plenty as much as possible and we
must prepare the ground for more than 2 developers...

At the end, all I still want is that TYPO3 gets better.

Have a great weekend anyone! (sorry for the lengthy answer)

Patrick