[TYPO3-dam] Any new news?

Ekkehard Gümbel guembel.remove-this at naw.de
Fri Jul 13 18:42:19 CEST 2007

Michiel Roos [netcreators] schrieb:
> Andreas Balzer wrote:
>> Fabien Udriot schrieb:
>>> I am also waiting for some news...
>>>
>>> - UTF-8 support in the "filename", that's an issue I met too.
>>
>> Is there anyone who might be able to patch some bugs until we get any
>> news from the official extension author?
>>
>> Andreas
> Oh wait . . .
>
> Here's some news for you: http://typo3lab.colorcube.de/Home.55.0.html
>
> Is it time for a fork? Or a project manager with more time?

Hi all,
we have had the present discussion several times and came to different conclusions, that I would like to
inform you about:

a) We definitely need better maintenance and in this project (and this includes enhancements, too). Agreed.

b) We believe that it is important to keep René involved, since it is his "baby" and he still has veery
amazing knowledge in TYPO3 and surroundings. We have to respect the fact that for personal reasons, his
availabilty is currently rather low, and that he is not going to do too much voluntary work on the project
since he did really much in the past which didn't "pay off" (not only in the monetary meaning).

c) So what we did is try to figure out a "DAM Support Model" that is aimed to
- ensure a good and permanent maintenance
- boost the DAM support in core + 3rd-party extensions
   (e.g. by good support for ext developers)
- bring DAM to the future (interaction with TYPO3 v5)
- make sure that extra features people want (and are willing to pay for)
   get implemented short-term (if it makes any sense)

d) This model has to include a second developer who is getting educated on DAM-internals by René, and who is
able to smoothly co-operate with him. And can unburden René from the every-day (or at least -week) maintenance
and communication work, including those times where René is not available at all.
This second maintainer is (as you may have noticed) Sven Gähle.

e) Both René and Sven will receive a monthly funding (though on different levels) that allows them to follow
the targets named above. They will be able work together at Sven's office (close to René), or other places.

f) The money required needs to be collected from a number of interested companies, on a low but regular base.
By now, the TYPO3partner member companies plus a small number of others have agreed to chip in, but to really
move forward we will have to double that number.

g) The whole thing has already started but is basically still in education mode, and also not with "full
power" since we do not yet have the full funding.

h) Of course, the entire concept is non-commercial, i.e. all money goes 100% to the developers, while the
extra fame goes to all of the sponsors.

These things have first been announced at the CeBIT, see
http://www.typo3partner.net/news/newsdetails/artikel/dam-support-by-typo3partner.html - but a real
presentation of the concept to the public has yet to come. An information on typo3.org will be ready by the
end of this month. (sorry I know we're slow here, but there are internal questions that need to be sorted
out.) Whoever likes to get in touch quicker, for now please use http://www.typo3partner.net/kontakt.html. (For
those who wonder: The DAM Support Model will be a _non_-TYPO3partner project from the moment it goes public.)

I strongly believe this is very good news - at least the concept was designed with the best intentions by
companies that are as much interested in (and have been suffering from) DAM as probably all of you :-)

greets
/Ekki

Ekkehard Guembel // guembel -at- naw.info
naw.info net&works Internet Services GmbH
Luetzerodestr. 12 // 30161 Hannover // Germany
http://www.naw.info