[TYPO3-dam] DAM - reflection on "kill mod_file"

René Fritz r.fritz at colorcube.de
Mon Apr 16 11:15:06 CEST 2007

Hi

> > - The Media>File>List module can be disabled
>
> ACK, however mod_file does not offer the language functions mod_list
> does (Language / exclusive),

And I don't plan to do so.

As you already mentioned the file module fetch data from the filesystem and
the list module works with the database data.
From my point of view the file module should focus on file operations.

Btw. quick translations can be created in the record editing form.

> and mod_list not offer for uploads /
> directoty handling, so currently the Editor has to use both modules for
> the simple task of: upload a file, add Metainfo and translate Metainfo.
> (or am I missing something?).

By configuration you limit to following modules:

Media
 - File
    - Upload
 - List
     - List
 - ...

- with a click on Media>File the user is directly in the upload module
- when uploaded the metadata can be edited inside the upload module
- when editing the metadata record a translations can be created directly

Another option could be to create a new 'Upload' main module. This would look
like this.

Media
 - Upload
 - List
     - List

Adding a Media>List>Upload module could be done, but I prefer one of the above
solutions.
Maybe I'll add all these as options :-)

> > - There's a scheme needed how to store files when the usage of folders is
> > dropped (in the interface). Means, where to store an uploaded file when
> > the folders are hidden for the editor?
>
> I cant imagine a setup with completely dropped view on the file-system
> (be it a real-(FS) or virtual hirachy).
> Why? The avverage editor is used to the concept of a hirachical
> structure and will want to use such in order to strcuture his data.

Of course.
But, when you have categories why do you need filesystem folders? In principle
they can be hidden completely for the user.

The difference is:
- In a real filesystem a file is stored in one folder.
- With DAM a file can be 'attached' to multiple categories.

Anyway, I'm not against your suggestions. If we could make DAM more user
friendly, fine.
But it's important that an all in one solution needs to be non-confusing for
the user. Adding file operations like 'create directory' are not logical in
the Media>List module because the context is not always clear. When the user
has a current selection of jpeg files, you just cannot offer a 'create
directory' option because there's no target defined. And selecting the target
folder in a second step is not that sexy.

What about adding context menus to the folder tree with options to edit the
folder tree? Disadvantage is that the user have to know about that.

Regards
René

--
COLORCUBE