[TYPO3-dam] DAM RC1 - Multilanguage Editing - TestReport

georg k georg at georg.org
Sun Apr 15 00:11:27 CEST 2007

Ahoi Rene,

Upfront congratulations & thanks for the improovements in the recent
1.1-RC1.

I further tested RC1 in regards to multilanguage usage with 4.0.6,
DAM-RC1, translated Media-Folder and translated title/caption/alt for
some test-records. From an editors point of view (who is allowed only to
edit only an alternative language) there are some flaws within the BE.
It's mainly about displaying the right (chosen) language (title +
caption) and about editing permissions + possibilities:

details:

1.) BE: Page-Module
- Szenario: BE > Web > Page > chosen alternative language:
- Issue: Captions are displayed in the original language.
- URL.eg:
http://domain/typo3/sysext/cms/layout/db_layout.php?&id=2&SET[language]=1

- Question: class.ux_tx_cms_layout.php for solving that one?

2.) BE: Editing an alternative language-record in Detail:
- Szenario: BE > Web > Page > edit Record, or List > Edit

- Issues:
     a) File-Selectbox: the title is shown in the default Language
instead of the alt_language.
     b) InfoBox: The info-link shows the main DAM Record instead of the
alt_language Meta-Data;
     c) InfoBox: The title + caption is shown in the default language
instead of the alternative one.

- URL.eg:
http://domain/typo3/alt_doc.php?returnUrl=%2Fdomain%2Ftypo3%2Fsysext%2Fcms%2Flayout%2Fdb_layout.php%3F%26id%3D2%26SET%5Blanguage%5D%3D1&edit[tt_content][4,]=edit

- Question: class.tx_dam_tcefunc around function renderFileList?

3.) BE - Media>List / Media>File - Translation Process + User-Rights
I'm still troubling setting up a meaningful creation-, translation-
edit-process for tx_dam records from an editors / translators point of view.
IMHO it should work similar to the page-module: Read-Access to
Default-Language + Write-Access to the User-Language;
I cant provide a serious bug-report on those yet, however I'll try to
describe my understanding and observations for now:

CONFIG-USED:
User/group is "limited" to one sys_lang_uid (that is TRANSLATING
existing records into HIS language);

ISSUES:
3.1 - Upload of a file and subsequent editing of default_lang metadata
is allowed for users with no right for the "Default language";
     Media > File: allows Uploads for the user;
     In addition it allows adding / changing meta-data of the
default-language for the uploaded record later on.

3.2 - Translate non-translated records:
     Media > File: does not allow for translation (pitty);
     Media > List: does, however: selecting the "Translate this" icon,
the user is not presented with the expected
edit-new_language_record-form, which IMHO should be. Instead the
overlay-record is "silently" created and the user would have to edit the
overlay-record later on.

Thanks, regards georg

PS: Me feels the above issues are needed requirements for a 1.1 release,
however I did not bugtrack them yet.

PPS: I'm still wondering why so many functions rely on the file-name
instead on the dam-record and it's optionaly given overlays in regards
to language and versioning? This IMHO neglects the availability of the
DAM-Ownership upon the file which should be held by tx_dam ONLY; am I
missing something here?