[TYPO3-dam] media types

René Fritz r.fritz at colorcube.de
Thu Nov 30 12:09:34 CET 2006

> As I understand it some fileformats can carry metadata. The office formats
> can carry added metadata which should go into the Additional metadata. So
> this field should also be there for application.

Of course. But that's a different story. Indexing services of
type 'metaExtract' do that.

> > Technically this may be correct but from a categorization like DAM use I
> > would expect it of type 'text'. And that's how DAM has an additional
> > internal list defined. Btw. Open Dokument formats are also defined as
> > application/* in the mime type list not text.
>
> I don't consider these text because of the fact that text can be extracted
> from them by some parser. csv,txt,tmpl,html,css etc. are text to me,
> because there is no special aplication needed to view them.

That's also the case for mp3. Would you categorize it 'application' instead of
audio?

For a mime type that's correct. For a system like DAM I would like to
categorize all files that are 'text' to the user as such.
But this is open for discussion and as I wrote, it can be changed/customized
easily in every installation. It might be possible to provide two base
configurations: "official mime type" "modified media types"

From my point of view media types is not the same as mime types and may
differ.

> I noticed that for instance odt does not get the mime type. This list is
> probably not complete.

Yes.
BTW: the official mime type list is missing file types, too.

> > - if the internal list does not know the type mime_content_type() is used
> > to get a mime type. Now the detection depends on the servers setup.
>
> I don't get this. Where is that defined on the server?

The mime type list is used by different applications like the webserver
(apache) for example. Often there's a shared mime type list, but not always.
So mime_content_type() is not reliable. That's why I use my own list.

> I would rather have this standardised in DAM than having to do this with an
> extension later on. Or do you feel there are different media types in
> different projects?

I'm happy to add missing types when you send me

extension, mime/type, media type
example:
mp3, audio/x-mpeg, audio

If one want to review the full list, I'm happy too

René

--
COLORCUBE
digital media lab