[TYPO3-dam] mmforeign

René Fritz r.fritz at colorcube.de
Sun Nov 26 16:13:32 CET 2006

Hi

> >> That is easily possible with our implementation, you just need to use
> >> different mm-tables to store the different relations.
> >
> > Yes, but that is not usable for DAM.
>
> That's right, DAM would need to be changed in order to work with our
> implementation.
>
> However, it would be possibly to adopt the DAM without dropping any
> features, right?

No.

Having an extra mm table for every field relation makes no sense for the DAM.

> I know that with your implementation you could for example store the
> "customership" relation in the same table as the "employment" relation
> (both are persons <=> companies relations).
>
> My question was if you could make an example of relations that are not
> possible to store the way we implemented it.
>
> My clear answer is: No, everything that can be done with matchfields can
> as well be done with multiple mm-tables. Do you agree?

With heavy overhead to the PHP code. Tons of mm tables have to be registered
to the DAM not to mention the huuuuge SQL queries this will be needed with
joins to get all relations for an dam item.

That's simply not practicable for DAM to be used.

> Couldn't that as well be done with the field type "user"?

No. 'user' pipe the content into the DB without to handle it in any way. Using
the hook's in TCEmain would allow to handle the stuff while writing but it's
still not handled while reading, copying and so on.

René

--
COLORCUBE
digital media lab