[TYPO3-dam] DAM and XML Metadata: MPEG7?

Daniel Pötzinger operation-lan at gmx.de
Fri Feb 10 20:28:18 CET 2006

Hello

DAM is a great extension for the management of media and metadata!
Since I am just writing on a dissertation with the topic around "MPEG-7
and X-Query" I thought of the possibilities and the use of integrating
XML (especially for Metadata) in TYPO3.

And would like to know some opinions on that.

I have currently some plans/ideas for that:
-Integrate a DBAL for XML (X-Query based) DBMS (like eXist which is
Open-Source)

- Annotation/Extraction of MPEG-7 Metadata for DAM Records and store the
XML Documents in an XML-DB Collection.

Advantages:
-Support for standardized (XML) Metaformats
-Use an XML-DB (and XQuery) for efficient XML Retrival
-this would enable Content-Based Querys (like find all red/blue images
or find images similar to a given one)
-also MPEG-7 Metadate exchange with other Systems.

But of course the use maybe small (or just limited to a few projects)?

What do you think?

(Btw. MPEG-7 is an XML Bases Metadata Format for any kind of
audio-visual content; There is the possibility to describe nearly
everything related to multimedia content; e.g. low-level and high-level
features like color or complete semantics...)

Greetings