[TYPO3-dam] fileversioning in DAM - a scheme for inspiration?

Pascal Voitot pascal.voitot at free.fr
Mon Aug 21 16:37:07 CEST 2006

You are right Andreas! CSV was only a well-known example and I have never used
subversion until now. Ive just read quickly its features and it could be very
interesting for us.

Subversion features:
- manage binary files which is important for the DAM It implements a complete
workflow.
- It has HTTP and Webdav interfaces (quite interesting for the DAM).
- It also manages metadata - extract from site: "A new feature of Subversion is
that you can attach arbitrary metadata (or “properties”) to files and
directories. Properties are arbitrary name/value pairs associated with files
and directories in your working copy)".
- it can access remote repository with security (very interesting because
document repositories are often not on the webserver)
- File versions are stored in a Berkeley DB (not good for us if we want to keep
existing file structures and also not very portable on Windows :)) but also on
FSFS which is a repository based on files only (very portable and very good
idea even if quite young yet)
- it is autonomous and written in C (no PHP but if it is good, portable and
widely spread, why not! There are PHP interfaces also)

The only disturbing thing is that you have to put all your documents in the
Subversion repository and my idea of keeping original file structure is no more
possible. Anyway keeping original file structure will never be the final
solution and it can only be a transient state.

Finally, this is almost our DAM and maybe a bit more :):):)
The question could become: what do we do with the DAM if we try to interface
with subversion :):):)?

I'm joking but the idea is really interesting from my point of view. I'm going
to think about it and see the limitations and the cost of such an idea :)

thks
Pascal

Quoting Andreas Otto <andreas.otto at dkd.de>:

> Hi Pascal,
>
> Pascal Voitot wrote:
>
> > Anyway concerning versioning, I have also the point of view of the raw
> > programmer which uses the well-known CVS-like tools.
>
> How about integrating SVN functionality [1] into DAM?
>
> [1]<http://pear.php.net/package/VersionControl_SVN>
>

> Cheers,
> Andreas
>
> --
> Andreas Otto
>
> d.k.d Internet Service GmbH
> Kaiserstraße 79
> 60329 Frankfurt / Main
> Fon: +49 69 43056170
> Fax: +49 69 43056190
> Mail: andreas.otto at dkd.de
> Home: www.dkd.de

Pascal Voitot
ingénieur en génie informatique de l'ISMRA ENSI de Caen