[TYPO3-content-rendering] BLE, core and HTML5

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Tue Aug 9 11:00:52 CEST 2011

Sorry for the cross posting: This is on the BLE mailing list as well,
but I'd like to hear the opinion here as well.

-----

Hi,

As you might know I'm working on the accessibility part for the
frontend, mostly css_styled_content. The people at the BLE made clear
they are very interested in the use of HTML5.

As TYPO3 core we need to be backwards compatible to older browsers, like
IE7. But does this count when HTML5 and CSS2+ is used? HTML5 works good
together with CSS2.1, but the support of HTML5 and CSS2.1 in IE7 is very
poor and not really usable.

So my questions to you are:
What is more important here? Older browser support or proper HTML5
output with CSS2+? We have always focused on the support for older
browsers, but this stops the progress of TYPO3 regarding the use of
HTML5. Do we tell our clients when they use HTML5 in TYPO3, older
browsers are not supported, or do we adapt the HTML5 output, so it still
will work in older browsers, which means the output is not using HTML5
at its full glory? Where do we draw a line?

I really want your opinion about this, because currently I don't know
which way to take and it stops my current development regarding HTML5 in
css_styled_content.

Cheers

Patrick