[TYPO3-content-rendering] Table summary attribute in HTML5

Patrick Broens patrick at patrickbroens.nl
Thu Aug 4 11:12:12 CEST 2011

Hi,

As you might know, the table summary attribute is obsolete. This means
we can't use it in HTML5.

This is what W3C says about it:
"Consider describing the structure of the table in a caption element or
in a figure element containing the table; or, simplify the structure of
the table so that no description is needed."

We already have the possibility for the caption element and IMHO the
caption element is not the right place, because it is visible. The
summary attribute is not.

What do you think? If the doctype is HTML5, simply don't use the
summary? By default, the summary field can be filled by an editor. This
information will not be used then. Admins should be aware that this
field is hidden for editors whenever the site has the HTML5 doctype.

Any other suggestions? Otherwise I'm going to delete this attribute for
HTML5 and don't do anything with the entered information.

Cheers

Patrick