[TYPO3-content-rendering] tt_content.mailform: different wrap for textarea needed

Michael Bakonyi konakt at mb-neuemedien.de
Mon Jun 2 00:19:45 CEST 2008

Hi Joey,

JoH schrieb:
>> I'd just like to give a textarea a background via CSS. In FF
>> everything looks fine but in IE on the one hand padding on an
>> textarea doesn't move the scrollbars inwards and on the other hand
>> when the text in the textarea overflows the background moves up.
>
> Moving up could IMHO be avoided by using
> background-attachment:fixed;
> Not tested though ...

Unfortunately the CSS-specs say, that background-attachment:fixed
adjusts the background relative to the viewport, not the element itself.
So that's not an option here ... But thanks for the tip anyway.

> Maybe it's worth trying overflow:hidden in addition, since IMHO scrollbars
> destroy the look and feel of the design anyway.

I found out, that IE's initial value for overflow is "scroll" - that's
why in MS' browsers the scrollbars are always shown. So setting it to
"overflow:auto" you get the same behavoir like in FF: The scrollbars
only appear when there's to much content for the textarea. So that's a
little bit of good news here, at least.

Overflow:hidden isn't an option for me as it would lack usability.

As there seems to be no other solution so far I think I'll switch to an
extension - although it's kind of an overkill. ;-)

Thanks for your tips,
Michael