[TYPO3-content-rendering] still some problems with clear:both

Peter Niederlag niederlag at ikd01.de
Mon Apr 2 10:37:16 CEST 2007

Hello Ernesto,

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] schrieb:
> Peter Niederlag wrote: on 13.03.2007 17:06:
[...]
>> The main problem is that csc delivers/renders by default with this
>> markup/CSS:
>>
>> div.csc-textpic-intext-left-nowrap .csc-textpic-imagewrap {
>>     clear: both;
>> }
>>
>> This clearing sometimes affects containers that are way up in the DOM
>> and destroys the nicely aligned columns of the site-layout.
>
> The "easiest" way to solve that usually is to put the content area in a
> float also. This will make the clear:both stop there and don't go any
> further.

I know, that's the way we solve the issue now. But still it would make
more sense IMO if the clearing only is applied where it is really
needed. That is a corresponding floating element appears in the context
of the textpic element.

What's the reason for not doing so? Is is technically not possible? To
complex to handle?
Anything else? [Me just being curious]

> Here are some other "tricks" to play with floating content in div-based
> multi-columns layouts: http://www.yaml.de/artikel/xhtml/floats.html
> (german only)
>
> Sometimes it is not possible or you don't want the whole "hassle" that
> comes with doing this, mainly if you are using liquid design for the
> content area and cannot specify a fixed width. In that case I would opt
> to go for a simple layout table, which basically does everything one
> wants without any needed hacks. If they are not nested and the table is
> linearizable, this is even accessible.

But does not "feel" well. my favorite design curreently is "display:
table" and floats only for the simulator (AKA IE).

Cheers,
Peter
--
Peter Niederlag