[TYPO3-content-rendering] css-IMGTEXT now in beta2!

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Jan 20 10:17:07 CET 2006

Hi!

Follow-ups to t.p.content-rendering, please!

I am glad to announce the following entry in todays TYPO3's ChangeLog:

* New feature: Merged cron_cssstyledimgtext into CSS Styled Content.
Kudos to Ernesto Baschny who did most of the work. Many thanks to
Sebastian Kurfuerst for his great support. Great work boys!

Yes, you heard it: cron_cssstyledimgtext is now integrated into
css_styled_content and is already "shipping" in TYPO3 4.0 beta2. A lot
of work has been done since the last version of my extension and the
integration takes the possibilities a step forward.

Some nice things about the integration for those who already know
cron_cssstyledimgtext:

1) Of course an additional extension is not needed anymore: You install
TYPO3 4.0 beta2, activate css_styled_content, add its static templates,
configure the CONSTANTs and you're done!

2) The fields altText, titleText and longdescURL are now fixed part of
tt_content in core. So you will have consistent fields to add this
information. A migration tool from cron_cssstyledimgtext's fields to the
new tt_content fields will be released as soon as 4.0 is out. Meanwhile
you can try some basic SQL to "migrate" the fields (note that
longdescURL hasn't been in use in my extension):

UPDATE tt_content SET altText = tx_cssstyledimgtext_altText, titleText =
tx_cssstyledimgtext_titleText;

3) The choice to split caption/alt/title/longdescURL by a newline is now
configured with one single constant (imageTextSplit). The splitting is
now done directly with stdWrap (see TypoScript!), so there are some very
nice possibilities with the new .caption solution. Updated docs on that
part will follow, but I'm sure our TS-fans (JoH and Co.) will already
play around with them. ;)

4) The old constant and TS-key captionSplit is marked as OBSOLET but
still supported. So migrating from old sites doesn't require any change.

5) Speaking of migration, if you are upgrading from 3.8.1 and are afraid
that the addition will destroy your site, use the "Upgrade Wizard" and
set the compatibility mode to 3.8.1: You will get the "good old" table
based IMGTEXT. But even there you will be able to enjoy the benefits of
the new altText/titleText/longdescURL handling.

6) Now some new good stuff: All XHTML which is outputted can be
controlled via TypoScript. There's a nice new ".layout" property which
lets you "fine-tune" the general appearance of your Text-with-image CE.
Look:

        layout = CASE
        layout {
                key.field = imageorient
                # above-center
                default = TEXT
                default.value = <div class="csc-textpic
csc-textpic-center
csc-textpic-above###CLASSES###">###IMAGES######TEXT###</div><div
class="csc-textpic-clear"><!-- --></div>

So you don't like the "<div class="csc-textpic-clear"><!-- --></div>"
part? You can change it! Or you want to render everything without ANY
wrap around the whole image block:

        imageStdWrap.dataWrap = <div class="csc-textpic-imagewrap"
style="width:{register:totalwidth}px;"> | </div>
        imageStdWrapNoWidth.wrap = <div class="csc-textpic-imagewrap"> |

The first one will be used if a width has to be applied inline for
rendering purposes (multiple rows of images, centering above and below
and if there's a non-splitted caption below the whole image-block). The
second one will be used on other situations (single image, etc).

7) The CSS positioning methods haven't changed. New is the <!-- -->
inside the clearing DIVs, which are there to "enlarge the containing
element". Thanks for Oliver Klee for poining that out.

8) The CSS-Class-Names are different! Now they are CSC-compliant, so
please note the changes:

  csi-textpic   changed into   csc-textpic
  csi-*         changed into   csc-textpic-*

9) The CSS solution is not the right one for everyone. So if you want to
turn it off but don't want 3.8.1-compatibility-mode, simply:

  tt_content.image.20 = IMGTEXT
  tt_content.textpic.20 = IMGTEXT

So I think that's it for now. I invite everyone to try it out, to see
what else we can improve.

Cheers,
Ernesto