[TYPO3-content-rendering] What to do with the (old) standard templates?

Patrick Rodacker patrick.rodacker at the-reflection.de
Tue Jan 17 19:05:25 CET 2006

Hi Torsten, hi list,

Torsten Schrade wrote on 15.01.2006 10:08:

> Yes, I think so too. But we should discuss some new guidelines - a few
> things come to mind:
>
> The "Famous Twelve" from GREEN to BUSINESS were all pure TS templates
> working with the "classic" BE for input. Now we'll get a powerfull
> Templavoila 1.0 with the new 4.0 and a lot of people might want to use
> it's pagemodule for input. In my opinion, a new TYPO3 template should
> try to cater for both - the classic and templavoila way of doing things.

What's about the approach in between these two? Using markers in
external HTML files or making use of the autoparser extension. I think
thats the classic way of TYPO3 templates even a beginner will understand.

> There's another point to this issue: if the new templates are just pure
> TS like the old ones, it will remain hard for new and inexperienced
> users to adapt the HTML output to their needs. I therefore think
> everything should be packaged in an extension like "Urban Nomad" already
> is. New templates should provide the basic HTML as file, the TS for the
> classic approach in /static and DS/TO for templavoila maybe as .t3d import.

Totally agreed. We have a similar discussion on the ECT list. Imho
Templates (skins) for preconfigured installation packages have to be
fully configurable supporting the three (four) approaches of setting up
templates within TYPO3.

> If we request all this typoscripting, mapping, packaging from everybody
> who just wants to deliver a cool HTML template, it will of course lead
> to nowhere. So the CRG should provide a platform: people could send in
> what stuff they have (maybe we should make an announcement) - and our
> "packaging taskforce" helps in making nice and standardized template
> extensions out of it. With time, the best of these template packages
> could be delivered as sysexts for ease of use - but I doubt that this
> will be the case before 4.5.
>
> Uuh - sounds like a lot of work ;) but in my opinion we need a new
> standard for this. I'll try starting to gather experience by working on
> the YAML template during the next weeks. We should also make contact to
> Ryan Off, who is the author of "Urban Nomad" for hints and tips.

The keyword in this section is definitely 'standard'. There should be an
intense coordination with Elmar from the ECT, so we can develop an
overall strategy providing better and easy to adapt templates in future.
I have to think about the point that every template will be provided as
single extension. Maybe one template library providing all the templates
in one extension is another useful approach.

I am really interested in this topic and just started following this
list some days ago. I think you all have done some really good work on
the accessible content output. Praise you all ! ;)

With best regards
Patrick