[TYPO3-content-rendering] What to do with the (old) standard templates?

Torsten Schrade schrade at lineara.de
Sun Jan 15 10:08:37 CET 2006

Hi Ben,
> This can be the start of some nice new TYPO3 templates. We need some new
> XHTML templates. TYPO3 4.0 can deliver that!

Yes, I think so too. But we should discuss some new guidelines - a few
things come to mind:

The "Famous Twelve" from GREEN to BUSINESS were all pure TS templates
working with the "classic" BE for input. Now we'll get a powerfull
Templavoila 1.0 with the new 4.0 and a lot of people might want to use
it's pagemodule for input. In my opinion, a new TYPO3 template should
try to cater for both - the classic and templavoila way of doing things.

There's another point to this issue: if the new templates are just pure
TS like the old ones, it will remain hard for new and inexperienced
users to adapt the HTML output to their needs. I therefore think
everything should be packaged in an extension like "Urban Nomad" already
is. New templates should provide the basic HTML as file, the TS for the
classic approach in /static and DS/TO for templavoila maybe as .t3d import.

If we request all this typoscripting, mapping, packaging from everybody
who just wants to deliver a cool HTML template, it will of course lead
to nowhere. So the CRG should provide a platform: people could send in
what stuff they have (maybe we should make an announcement) - and our
"packaging taskforce" helps in making nice and standardized template
extensions out of it. With time, the best of these template packages
could be delivered as sysexts for ease of use - but I doubt that this
will be the case before 4.5.

Uuh - sounds like a lot of work ;) but in my opinion we need a new
standard for this. I'll try starting to gather experience by working on
the YAML template during the next weeks. We should also make contact to
Ryan Off, who is the author of "Urban Nomad" for hints and tips.

Greetings, Torsten