[TYPO3-content-rendering] Integrating Accesskeypad - Hello...

Kai Laborenz typo3 at laborenz.de
Sat Oct 29 10:08:12 CEST 2005

Michael Haugg schrieb:

>> Hm - I think the idea of Jan was to have a unified navigation system
>> across different sites! Thats why he published it.
>>
>> To have sevaral Accesskeypads which work quite different is worse than
>> nothing for blind users and will harm the idea of having one standard
>> pad system!
>

> I contacted Jan Eric Hellbusch by eMail askimg him about his opinion and
> he answered me the following: (Sorry for this excerpt in German, but as
> I understood it, he does not totally disagree to my solution)
>
> "... An sich spielt es keine Rolle, denn die Nutzung ist vor allem an
> Tastaturnutzer gerichtet, die sich "irgendwo" auf der Seite befinden.
> Seiten, die den Designvorschlag nicht nutzen und aber das Schema haben
> die Links auch überall verteilt, etwa
>
> www.landtag.nrw.de
> Selbstverständlich steht es Ihnen frei, ein Schema für Ihre eigenen
> Projekte zu entwickeln.

Yes, thats what he said so it should be ok. But I continue to think that
a different scheme on every site is of very limited use because the
users have to learn a new way on every site and I think they will mix
the different schemes so that none will work very well... :-(

Hm - I have to ask Jan about this.

>> After all a page shortcut navigation needs to be at the very first
>> position of a page - so that it is read to the beginning. This would
>> be even more important when you have unusual navigation tools.
>

> This ist what Jan eric Hellbusch answered me [Translation]:
> "
> - am Anfang zwei unsichtbare Links
> - [at the beginning two invisible Links]
>
>   1. zum Textbeginn
>      [to content]
>   2. "Wie navigiere ich diese Seiten nur mit Tastatur?"
>      [How to navigate this pages with shortcuts]
>
> - den Accesskey-Pad würde ich im Quelltext dann möglichst weit hinten
> platzieren. Optisch können Sie das dann "irgendwo" platzieren, wie es
> halt im Layout passt.
> [I would place the acceskeypad at the end of the sourcecode. It can be
> displayed as it fits in your layout]
> "

This will work I think. To mee it seems more usefull to have a shortcut
to the homepage, the contect page and the help page (if there is some
usefull content there) than to navigate araund on the page. I think most
of the users will use a page in a more or less linear way: when the page
begins they choose to read the content or go to the menu to go further
but after that they wont have to much need to jump around (imho). So I
would have a shortcut to the homepage (this is very important in every
case I think) and one to the page top. There should be a jumpmenu to the
most important page sections.

>> BTW: Three things about the memmingen site
>> 1. It confused me that the vertical menu on the top left position is
>> something different on the homepage as on the other pages.
>
> The submenu of the homepage contains the sub-homepages of some
> insitutions of Memmingen.

Yes I realized that - after clicking on an link an being transported to
a different site. My point is that ist isnt a good idea to have two
identical looking menus with different functions.

>> 2. The page contains a lot of external links which are not marked at
>> all - very annoying.
>
> You see it when you switch to nocss. They are marked this way:

Thats a good piece of TS. I would be usefull to mark the external links
as well - there are still some users out there who dont examine the code
(how stupid) ;-)

BTW: you should include a position mark for the main menu (the
horizontal one). And maybe you could use ems for the height of the page
header so that the main menu cant hide behind the content columns at
very big sizes.

Continue the good work,
Kai