[TYPO3-content-rendering] [Typo3-dev] Re: Smart Content Rendering

dan frost dan at danfrost.co.uk
Mon Oct 24 13:17:24 CEST 2005

> PS: More and more I'm convinced that the backwards compatibility with
> old "content default" is a major block for the developing of anything.
> It demands options and twists for everything, even if we all agree it
> should be deprecated.

Yes - there are too many truely stupid solutions
in TYPO3 too merit all the effort that backwards
compatibility needs. There seems to be a mad
tendency to think "how can we fix the thing"
instead of "what is the best way to do this?".
While the "best way" might not work straight away,
we should ALWAYS aim for it and start implementing
it now.

I have found that, if you keep trying to fix
something that isn't good in the first place you
spend more time
- fixing the thing
- trying to use the thing.

The fact is that most "solutions" in TYPO3 are not
ideal and are based on very TYPO3-specific
architecture. This might be "ok" and "nice" for
TYPO3 users, but there is a VERY good reason why
other people (open source and proprietary) use
common patterns, methods, techniques, languages
etc - it's tested by more people, it's more widely
supported and it's understood by more people.

My advise: think "what is the fastest, easiest and
most efficient way to USE something" (templating,
configuration, etc etc). Start implementing THAT
solution NOW - any effort spent on maintaining
weird, old stuff will ultimately be wasted.

dan