[TYPO3-content-rendering] CSS Styled Imgtext

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Tue Jul 5 00:45:57 CEST 2005

>> Well - how do you tell your span tags (or div tags or whichever you
>> might use) to render i.e. 9 images with 3 columns and 3 rows then?
>> What about 3 columns containing 3 images of different height?
>> How do you render them without additional spaces?
>> This is all default behaviour of original textpic elements and you
>> will still have to realize this while using your approach to stay
>> backwards compatible.
>> And I don't see how you want to do this using floated elements only
>
> is this ok for you?
> http://www.sbmp.at/fileadmin/imgtxt/test.html
>
> as you requested.
> tested on:
> PC: IE, Moz, O8
> MacOSX: IE, Safari

the reality is something like this:
PC: IE 5+, Firefox, NS 6+, OP 6+
Mac: IE 5+, Safari, Firefox

Well - you simply ignored the "no rows" option and your images are (with one
exception) almost of different width not height.
The spacing between images and text is - uuhm - ugly and there are no
captions.
The textblock and the image block don't align horizontally and vertically in
both cases.
And the funny thing is, that you are abusing another element here just to
avoid using a table.
If you think a table is semantically incorrect for displaying a number of
different images with corresponding captions, why should an unordered list
be better then?

But back to the original problem:
Do something like this using floated elements (span, div or li - whatever
you like) that will look the same in all major browsers.
http://www.4any1.de/gileadmin/imgtext.jpg
If you will be able to do it using an automatic approach that will work for
any number of columns you can set via BE and for any image width, without
using manually tuned HTML and CSS for each possible layout, you might be
able to convince me.

But from my personal experience I can tell you it is almost impossible.

BTW:
What's your personal opinion about the siutations where a table might be
"semantically correct".
Can a form be "tabular data"? - What about a calendar? Any other areas for
the "correct" use of tables?

Just curious

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian