[TYPO3-content-rendering] Illegal SGML characters in output

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Dec 16 11:19:28 CET 2005

Martin Kutschker schrieb am 16.12.2005 09:24:

>> So outputting these characters for the Web in "charset=iso-8859-1" mode
>> is not "valid", because they are not part of this charset (which is also
>> why the W3C-validator chokes on them). The very good article in [2]
>> present some alternatives on how to output them in a generic way.

> Why not simply use windows-1252?
>
> This character set is accepted by most if not all browsers on all
> platforms.

So you suggest changing the default character set for west-european
languages from iso-latin-1 to windows-1252? That would solve the problem
for default-setups, of course.

But anyway, if I want my site to be iso-latin-1 encoded, I have to make
sure no unproper characters are being displayed. Why shouldn't TYPO3 do
that for me, as the problem is known and a solution is known? I have to
tell the authors not to use the EURO and other characters? Or to install
some extention to strip invalid characters from the chosen charset?

I think that as long as TYPO3 supports iso-latin-1, it needs to handle
the "buggy" input from browsers (which will happily send the invalid
characters in FORMs) by converting them into something that is valid in
the chosen character set.

So maybe the solution would be to have this check and conversion done at
FORM's submission instead, which is the origin of the problem?

Cheers,
Ernesto