[TYPO3-community] Community Plugin - Current State

Michael Knoll mimi at kaktusteam.de
Fri Sep 28 01:00:52 CEST 2007

Hi Alexander,

let me give you some answers to the questions and "buts" in your mail. A
friend and me wanted or want to build a community (as many people want
to do these days I suppose) and as I did some pages with typo3 and
started to write my own extensions recently, we had the plan to do this
with Typo3.

After evaluating the extension currently available, we missed a lot of
features and after taking a closer look on the code we came to the
conclusion that they are not really useful for our purposes. After
deciding to build our own extension, I found this mail-listing and
posted some of our ideas and wanted to collect some more ideas. We put
up a wiki page on which we tried to collect wish-lists and set up a roadmap.

One goal - which was not only our's but a common wish - was to use
lib/div as a basis and no longer to use pi_base.

After some weeks of planning and talking about the whole thing, I wanted
to start, as we would like to start our website about February next
year. So the "many people work together" approach was - let's say
corrupted by me simply starting to put up some of the functionality that
was on everybody's wishlist.

The biggest problem at the moment seems to be the quick changes in
lib/div, as it is still alpha and you can't be sure that the
functionality you use at the moment is still available with the same
interfaces some weeks later.

As soon as a little core of what we want to create is running, I will
publicate it on TER or t3xdev so that everybody can help making a good
piece of code out of it. At the moment I see no chance to coordinate
more than the two of us (Lars and me) to do the programming stuff. If
you have a better idea or can tell me how to coordinate a team managing
the task, I'd be very thankful if you let me know how to do that.

The plugins we write at the moment are very small and quite
community-low-level, so that I think we can reuse them, no matter how
the whole-big-thing will look like one day.

Hope this explains a little of my problems and my thoughts.

Regards

Mimi