[TYPO3-community] user profile extension

Chris Fortune cfortune at telus.net
Sat Apr 28 08:36:55 CEST 2007

Hello,

I'm new to Typo3.  I have a short beginner project, to alter user types so
that a user may have many many attributes in her profile.  Think of
match.com, where a user can have hundreds of attributes describing many
aspects of her character.  Obviously it doesn't make sense to add columns in
the sql user table, because this would become a performance burden, and
also, each user attribute may have data flags associated with it.
Therefore, it makes sense to add two tables, one named `attributes`, and
another for the lookup table (named `users_attributes`), containing id's for
both user and attribute, as well as any data flags pertaining to that
attribute for that user.

My question is, how would you proceed to create this extension?  Is there
already one that has this capability?  I couldn't find it yet.  Would it be
better to extend an existing extension (which one?), add a new feature to an
existing extension, or create a custom user_ extension?

Your help is appreciated,

-Phenetic