[TYPO3-commerce] legal considerations about publishing an extension to TER

Thibaut van de Mortel tibo at goutemesdisques.com
Sun Dec 16 22:45:24 CET 2007

Hi list,
I'm currently developping an extension that is a payment method for
Commerce. If everything goes fine, I wish to publish it to TER, but I
was wondering about the responsibility that an author has over the
extension he publishes.

Let's say that I've finished my extension and it has been accepted on
TER (I don't really know yet the process to approved on TER). Let's even
say that I'm so proud of my brand new extension that I say it is version
1.0 and it is stable.

Now let's also say this :
1) somebody decides to use my extension.
2) there is actually a security breach and some clever hacker found it,
making the merchant lose money.

In that "worst case scenario" (I always like to think about any worst
case scenario), can I be legally attacked by the victim because my
extension was not secure enough? If yes, can I still be legally attacked
even if I include in the code a big disclaimer saying basically "USE
THIS AT YOUR OWN RISKS"?

I want to share, but I don't want to be attacked if my extension appears
to be hackable.

I secretly guess that there is no risk, otherwise nobody would dare to
publish any free extension like hmmm... an e-commerce system for example  :)

Any lawyer in the list?

Regards,
Thibaut