[TYPO3-commerce] Refresh on commerce speedup?

Franz Koch typo.removeformessage at fx-graefix.de
Fri Dec 7 10:49:54 CET 2007

Hi Ingo,

>> Hi Axel,
>>> Hi, there was a little discussion on speeding up the commerce system
>>> some
>>> time ago.
>>> Some thoughts where very helpful, but after setting up some indexes the
>>> system is
>>> nearly as slow as before.
>>>
>>> Franz did you manage to speed up your system? Was a change to a
>>> different
>>> table type successful?
>>
>> no, unfortunately not. But as I wrote somewhere, the speed can be
>> increased by some better cache handling. Currently the basked-hash is
>> added to every URL and taken into account in the cache generation. But
>> the basket-hash is individual for EVERY visitor, so every visitor will
>> generate it's own cached version of a page, which is totally nonsense,
>> as every hit triggers Typo3 to build the page almost from scratch as far
>> as I see it.
>
> I don't think we are builing the basket hash for every visitor, we are
> building the basket hash from every content in the basket.
>
> The concept here is, that products that are often stored in the basket,
> would cause the same basket hash. So the caching here is ok.

What is the benefit of this concept? In my eyes it just floods the cache
table, as there are to many possible combinations - and the
basket-plugin (as well as the mini basket) is USER_INT anyway - so there
is really no benefit in this. And the currently appended hash disallows
page caching completely the pagebrowser. Only integer values are allowed
for piVars to trigger caching when pi-functions get used. Had to do some
research to find that out.

> I changed the basket-hash in my installation (xclass of
>> basic_basket class) to a hash-value based on the fe_users usergroup and
>> discount-settings I use in my shop, so that any other fe_user with same
>> settings get's served precached page. But this means, that you are not
>> able to show the amount of article added to the basket in the input
>> fields of list and detail view, like the default template does (due to
>> wrong caching).
>> That was at least a little improvement, but it's still not the fastest.
>
> You promised some patches, when can I have them?

I know. Unfortunately I'm quite busy with other (not Typo3 related)
projects and don't have the time to apply my changes to the latest SVN
in a test-shop and create patches from it.
My research in improving the db indexes also isn't finished yet - and
I'm no DB expert anyway, it's just try and error in that case. But I
think there are some more changes needed to speed up commerce. F.e. it
should be checked which markers are actually used in the template and
only these should get processed. I use this concept in my own extensions
and it's also used in cal. But therefore a lot has to be changed - and
creating endless pachtes for that takes just to much time - this has to
be done by main developers.

Hope to find some time in the near future.
--
Greetings,
Franz