[TYPO3-caretaker] RFC: caretaker_instance mass installation

Thomas Hempel thomas at typo3-unleashed.net
Thu Aug 19 12:34:34 CEST 2010

Hi Christoph,

> first of all: a massive "thank you" to you all for commiting so much
> work in this wonderful set of extensions! We are just starting to really
> make wider use of the caretaker and are already saving quite some effort
> by doing so.
Thanks! We love to get such feedback! ;-)

[~~~ snip ~~~]

> Let's share some thoughts and code.

I have the same feeling like you. The first approach could become a huge
security issue if isn't done right. At the moment I think this is not
necessary for 95% of the users.

But I really like the general idea of providing a toolchain to integrate
a large number of instances without creating everything manually.

So in my eyes the second idea is the way to go. After thinking about it
for a minute I would do it this way:

- Use a shell script to set up the instances
- This shellscript could export a list of all instances with essential
information to a file
- Copy that file manually to the server
- Import the instances with another shell script

Well, that is actually pretty similar to what you're already doing. ;-)

But I don't think that it's necessary to build the import directly into
the caretaker core. I'd like to see it as an external helper toolchain
which runs outside "the box".

This would make it much easier to handle, especially because you already
have most of it in place right now.

I can't see the big advantage of doing it inside caretaker. I'm not that
deep in the guts of caretaker though. Martin should really tell us what
he thinks about it.

Greets,
Thomas