[TYPO3-calendar] future of cal -> new maintainer

Jan Helke cal at typo3.helke.de
Thu Jan 24 08:02:28 CET 2019

Hello everybody

First of all I would like to thank Mario for the work he had done over
the last years. And of course for the kind words to introduce me to all
you fine people.

As Mario wrote, I plan to bring ext:cal to the next level. And from the
current point of view that means "full compatibility with TYPO3 9 LTS".
My first priority is to enable everybody to update their projects to the
latest LTS version.

To archive this goal, I plan to release a version 2.0.0 latest next
Sunday. But, as you might agree upon, nobody could be able to know every
edge case, ext:cal was used in the last years. So I rely on you folks to
test that new version and report any bug that appears with the new
version but not with the old one.
If you are in an adventurous mood, feel free to try the master branch
right now.
https://gitlab.com/janhelke/cal/tree/master

That new version comes also with two drawbacks for some of you. Those of
you familiar with semantic versioning will recognize that 2.0.0 is a
breaking version. "Breaking" in this case means: "No further support for
any TYPO3 version below 8 LTS." The second drawback is, that I will not
maintain any version of ext:cal below 2.0.0 with features or bug fixes.
Due to this constraints I will reject all issues that refer to either
TYPO3 4.5, 6.2 and 7 LTS or to any 1.x.y version of ext:cal.

Roadmap

Version 2.0.0
Release: End of January 2019
- Dealing with all Breaking Changes made by TYPO3 from version 8 LTS to
9 LTS
- The extension should work as reliable as the last 1.x.y version did
with TYPO3 8 LTS but also with TYPO3 9 LTS. So don’t expect many bug
fixes for stuff, that is already broken.
- The categories provided by cal are abandoned and replaced by
sys_categories. An update wizard to migrate the categories is provided
in the system maintenance area.
- New .svg icons.

Version 2.x.y
The next steps will be:
- Dealing with all deprecations from TYPO3 9 LTS to ease the path to 10
LTS.
- Fix issues that arise from differences between documentation and code.
Read: It's written in the manual but doesn't work as promised.
- Refactoring by deprecate a lot of outdated code from ext:cal and
replace with new code.
IMPORTANT: If you use and / or maintain extensions that rely on
deprecated code of ext:cal, you need to get your code in order in
version 2.x.y. All deprecated code will be removed in version 3. So
check your error log, all deprecations shall be mentioned there.
I expect to last version 2.x.y until the EOL of 9 LTS.

Version 3.0.0
Release: Latest together with TYPO3 10 LTS.
That will be the place to add shiny new features. Maybe they will be
back ported to version 2.x.y, maybe not.

I hope, the majority of you is fine with this approach.

With best regards from Hamburg / Germany

Jan Helke