[TYPO3-calendar] new category handling

Bart Gijswijt bart.gijswijt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 09:35:04 CET 2012

Hi list,

The new, stricter handling of categories in cal 1.5 renders our setup of
the cal extension rather useless. We have around 70 categories, and
almost all calendar events have several of these categories selected.
Most plugins on our website show items that have one or more categories
in common (items show up if they have either of the selected categories
assigned).

In my opinion, the strict handling would be a nice addition to the
standard handling of categories, but it's not logic to use it as the
default and only way of category handling.

If for example you have categories blue, red, cars and trains, I would
expect items with 'blue' AND 'cars' to show up in a list showing only
'blue'. This is how it used to work, and to me this is the intuitive way
to handle categories. I want to see all the blue items, and I don't care
whether it's a car or a train.

The strict way of category handling is a very welcome addition to the
old way, because now it is not necessary anymore to create an additional
'blue cars' category to show all items with both 'blue' and 'cars'
selected. Still, you would expect such items to remain in the list
showing 'blue' AND 'cars' even if they have a third category assigned.

I am wondering what the thoughts of the team are behind this change. Now
that both ways of category handling have been built, maybe it's a small
change to keep them both and offer the choice to the editors in the
plugin: whether to use AND or OR logic when combining categories - just
like tt_news does.

Regards,
Bart