[TYPO3-project-4-3] how ca we improve the update process?

Patrick Gaumond gaumondpatrick-s-p-a-m at hotmail-sp-a-m.com
Thu Sep 3 18:43:31 CEST 2009

If we start using Registry for this, 3 scenarios can happen:

Scenario 1
1- Migrate everything except DB params to Registry
2- Provide migration tool

Lots of work and testing, broken extensions that use to write to
localconf.php.

or

Scenario 2
A- Make this new value the first "Core" use of the Registry for such
parameter
B- New rule: New parameters goes to Registry

Then we got a mixed solution... So we still need the old way and the new
one at the same time. Is it worth it ?

Or

+ Stay with localconf.php values even for new parameters.

Nothing to do, works out of the box.

I really think that Registry will shine for lots of stuff already. We
don't need to make a statement for the new Registry in the updating
process IMHO. But I'm no CoreDev nor a Dev at all nor a Release Manager!

Patrick