[TYPO3-project-4-3] how ca we improve the update process?

Rupert Germann rupi at gmx.li
Wed Sep 2 10:22:07 CEST 2009

hi,

my "hide versioning and workspaces" patch [1] brought up the discussion
that it is a "no go" that updating a site will disable versioning/ws.

Actually this is not only the case for versioning/ws - this will also
happen for simulatestatic and frontend-editing (and for aboutmodules,
setup, opendocs...).
(The css_styled_content issue that I mentioned in the core-list
discussion seems to be solved meanwhile [2])

technical background:
if we add new entries to $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['EXT']['extList'] (in
config_default.php) this will be ignored when updatung because there is
already a valid extList in localconf.php

some describe this as "No Go" - others say: "..and that's why we have
upgrade wizards."

I think the truth in somewhere in between ;-)

to improve the "upgrade-to-4.3-user-experience" I suggest to add a new
check to t3lib_befunc::displayWarningMessages() which displays a message
that informs the admin about the fact that some features has to be
re-enabled in the update wizard. (like it is done with eg: compatVersion)

And additionally this message should have a "confirmed/ignore" option to
hide it when the new sysexts are not installed by intention.

opinions?

greets
rupert

[1] http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=11828