[TYPO3-project-4-3] Install tool usability

Dan Osipov dosipov at phillyburbs.com
Sun May 31 18:28:26 CEST 2009

 >> 1. Downloaded and extracted 4.3 alpha 3 source and dummy package.
Loaded
 >> up the browser to go to the new site, and was greeted with a message
 >> that the "ENABLE_INSTALL_TOOL" file doesn't exist. Why isn't it part of
 >> the dummy package? There is a warning when you log in to the BE that
the
 >> file should be deleted, so security conscientious users will delete the
 >> file after they're done installing.
 >
 > I am not sure if we should do this. One could say TYPO3 ships insecure
 > by default if we add the file. Forcing a user to manually add the file
 > will also raise awareness of this important measure.

I disagree. No one can run a TYPO3 site just by extracting the source &
dummy packages - there are additional steps that need to b taken. And
all of them require the install tool. Enabling it by default saves a
step for a user eager to get the system up and running. Securing it is
done at the end.

I'll take a look at the other issues and see if I can come up with some
patches.

Dan Osipov
Calkins Media
http://danosipov.com/blog/