[TYPO3-project-4-3] TYPO3 Distribution Concept for 4.3

Patrick Gaumond gaumondpatrick-s-p-a-m at hotmail-sp-a-m.com
Mon May 11 15:21:05 CEST 2009

Ingo Renner wrote:
> Here're my ideas about a "distribution concept":
>
> * strip down the core even more than now
> * then have different "distributions" for
>     * a blog
>     * a community
>     * corporate site (with DAM f.e.)
>     * news portal
>     * ... other popular combinations of the core + some extensions
>
> To create these packages in an easy and automated way (in fact I can't
> really imagine a non-automated way) we would have to build a new
> packaging system.
> As not many have used the current packaging system I'd like to say it
> works, but it's not too comfortable.
> For that new packaging system I'd like to use phing as it

First reaction: Too ambitious.

Second one: Who will keep the spark long enough to maintain such a
potential beast?

Third: Isn't there already a way to simply do it by making few central
extensions that include others as mandatory? Sure it doesn't provide
visual integration and consistency needed but if in the last 6 years no
one was able to just provide 5-10 templates that replace the old crappy
ones, how on Earth full "distributions" would be maintain more than for
the original release? I mean, it's lots of work for the initial sets but
it will be even harder to maintain the beast...

I'm not against it (who can?) but I feel it's unrealistic.

I'll be glad to be contradicted on that one. :)

Patrick