[TYPO3-project-4-3] File references, Multimedia

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Fri Mar 27 19:35:25 CET 2009

Hi Stan,

Stanislas Rolland schrieb:
> Hi Steffen,
>
> Dan Osipov a écrit :
>>
>> I understand that the TYPO3 core is supposed to be light, and
>> extensions should handle everything, right? So, DAM is supposed to add
>> all the multimedia processing for those who require it.
>>
> +1.
>
>> Steffen Kamper wrote:
>>>
>>> i think presenting multimedia files like mp3, mp4 etc TYPO3 is far
>>> behind other CMS systems. For me the multimedia CE is such unusable,
>>> as you can't teach editors how to use (setting parameters like a HTML
>>> coder).
>>>
> I think it is dispersion of energy to develop and maintain multimedia
> support in two different places.
>
> I would mark the multimedia CE as deprecated and recommend the use of
> DAM for installations that require multimedia features.

sry, but i disagree. I don't see a reason for installing DAM only to
present a flash video on a website. But for sure i see the need that DAM
support it as well. Why not share code instead of double coding? The
outputting in FE of the video could go with core function, the reference
to media could be handled in DAM.

vg Steffen