[TYPO3-project-4-3] ExtJS vs Prototype/Scriptaculous

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 13:42:59 CEST 2009

Hi!

Francois Suter wrote:
> As part of my work on the Scheduler I now need to do some JS/AJAX
> manipulations. I'm thinking about using ExtJS since it seems to be our
> new standard.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1) is this indeed the way to go?

Yes.

> 2) more generally, should we actually discourage people from using
> Prototype/Scriptaculous in order to have - eventually - a single JS
> framework to contend with?

Yes. Prototype causes certain problems with certain ExtJS classes because it overrides too many methods on objects. So consider using ExtJS. ExtJS has Ajax and Updater classes, so it should be ok for any job. ExtJS has also effects (may be not as many as Scriptaculous but people usually look to functionality, not to effects).

--
Dmitry Dulepov
In the TYPO3 blog: http://dmitry-dulepov.com/article/macintosh-vs-hackintosh.html