[TYPO3-project-4-3] ExtJS vs Prototype/Scriptaculous

Steffen Kamper info at sk-typo3.de
Fri Jun 5 10:35:24 CEST 2009

Hi Francois,

Francois Suter schrieb:
> Hi mates,
>
> As part of my work on the Scheduler I now need to do some JS/AJAX
> manipulations. I'm thinking about using ExtJS since it seems to be our
> new standard.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1) is this indeed the way to go?
>
> 2) more generally, should we actually discourage people from using
> Prototype/Scriptaculous in order to have - eventually - a single JS
> framework to contend with?

look to our team in jsbranch where one goal is to use ExtJS all over as
replace for prototype/scriptaculous in the long term
http://forge.typo3.org/wiki/typo3v4-javascript

It's quite obvious if we have a framework that does all the work, that
we shouldn't use other frameworks too.

People will learn ExtJS while it's integrated in core and used more and
more, they get inspired and will use it by themselves for sure :)

But they can use prototype/scriptaculous in there own apps, as libs are
part of core, but core shouldn't introduce new usage of that libs.

vg Steffen