[TYPO3-project-4-3] New Backend => Yes, but please not now!

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Wed Jun 3 20:25:16 CEST 2009

> So i think we should work on this for 4.4. Remember that start screen
> is the first people see when they come to TYPO3

As far as I remember the 4.4. Kick Off  talk at T3DD09, this version should
be about "fixing the last 20%" instead of adding lots of features to the
other 80% and this is, what was really exciting about that talk and why I
(and many others as well) really appreciate that Benni is the guy in charge.

So IMHO it is a complete _no go_ to even think about a _new_ backend for 4.4
because we already got one that works fine even for beginners and has got
it's own "last 20%" to fix already.

Last weekend I had a workshop for a client and there even were some people
in the audience who didn't have any clue about TYPO3 before. Some of them
had experiences with other CMS some had not. But almost everybody was
surprised that it's quite easy to use the backend even though it doesn't
look too sexy at a first glance.

So from my long time experience with end users there is no need to redesign
the backend at all. Even my 10 year old daughter is able to edit her
homepage without a lot of training or coaching - and she is doing so since
she was 8! The only people I know, who are always complaining about the
backend being to complex and frightening for end users, are developers and
designers. So I don't think there's a need to push this task into 4.4.

It's of course a good idea to think about concepts for a new backend, but
IMHO this should be done like
1.) prototyping without code in mind as Dmitry said => could be a job for
the HCI team regardless of any new T3 version
2.) coding based on FLOW3 => could be a job for a new "FLOW3 application
team"
3.) introducing it as one out of many possible backends for a FLOW3 based
TYPO3 v.5
4.) testing it's acceptance and improving it to really fit the user's needs
5.) backporting it (just like ext_base) to be used in TYPO3 4.x some time

If we really were going to introduce a new backend with 4.4 I guess we can
just forget about the "missing 20%" ever being fixed, because everybody will
be lost in actionism (as it has been so many times during the last years).
Just my 2 cents

Joey

PS: If you just imagine how long the discussions about the way it should
look like will take, I don't think there are too many people willing to wait
as long for TYPO3 4.4 ;-)

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
Twitter: http://twitter.com/bunnyfield
Xing: http://contact.cybercraft.de