[TYPO3-project-4-3] new kickstarter, RDFa & TCA extensions

Jochen Rau jochen.rau at typoplanet.de
Sat Jul 4 00:35:01 CEST 2009

Hi Stephan.

Stephan Petzl wrote:
> As far as i know there will be a new kickstarter for the extbase
> framework. I assume TCA will be used for extbase too, and i thought
> about possibilities to add semantic annotations to fields while reading
> this: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/introduction-to-rdfa/
>
> RDFa is not new to me, but the fact that google and yahoo read RDFa is.
>
> Thought about a scenario like this:
>
> 1. in the kickstarter the user creates a new property "Author" for the
> model "Book".
> 2. the kickstarter searches for suitable common RDFa-tags such as
> "dc:Author" and suggests them to the user.
> 3. the user assigns the right RDFa-tag to the property.
> 4. the user sets some properties in typoscript to enable semantic
> wrapping of frontend output
> 5. contents get rendered with semantic annotations
> 5. searchengines are happy reading TYPO3 pages :)
>
> What do you think?

In my opinion, adding semantics is an important step to take for TYPO3.
By now the situation is as follows: If an extension developer has to
deal with a natural person for example, he implements a person class on
his own with his own semantics. This lead us to hundreds of different
approaches how to deal with names, addresses and so on.

My personal feature wish is that TYPO3 v5 comes with some "core" classes
(in the sense of the semantic web) defined in OWL: person, place, date
etc. From these core classes we can derive our concrete implementation
classes (person->client). The benefit would be
- common interfaces e.g. how to retrieve a date of birth from a person
- the possibility to enrich the rendered content with semantics
- adding taxonomies would be much easier

But that is for TYPO3 v5. We could start adding semantics by having some
RDF to object connection feature in the new Kickstarter. I will talk to
Ingmar about this feature.

I am curious how this discussion will evolve. Keep up this interesting
topic.

Regards
Jochen

You find a related blog post of mine at