[TYPO3-project-4-3] t3editor, ts-codecompletion and tsref

Xavier Perseguers typo3 at perseguers.ch
Thu Jan 15 07:54:15 CET 2009

Hi,

>> i dont think odt brings the tools for a semantically structured tsref.
>> why not use a xml with our own schema? we could generate whatever we
>> want out of it. maybe thats possible with docbook too, however i see
>> the need for a cleaner and more structured tsref.
>
> yep, that's what DocBook was made for. Please no proprietary "standards".
>
> Other cool features:
>  * inter-document links

We will need a way to officially reference other documents

>  * versioning

Pure text is better than binary for storing in SVN and for concurrent
editing but besides that, as Dmitry said, this will be better for an
automatic diff but an OpenOffice document may be much more easier to
deal with with non-tech people. Did you ever tried to collaborate on a
document using track change? If you have to deal with LaTeX or DocBook
documents without an editor that supports this, you will certainly agree
that it is not a viable solution for those people (even for me I find
that as long as *concurrent* editing is not a must, track change is far
more user-friendly than any other "manual" annotation).

The thing is that you not always correct misspelling but sometimes just
want to point something out and diff'ing a DocBook document or a LaTeX
document *will* be less user-friendly.

>  * transformation into various formats

As a +1 I see automatic extraction of TSref but for the rest, I do not
see any advantage of DocBook over OpenOffice. Outputting a PDF is easier
from within OpenOffice.

>  * basically it's XML

I would say that basically it's text instead of XML because the only
advantage of XML over pure text is the way computer may deal more easily
with it over pure text. However XML for human editing (that is without a
*very* decent editor) is much more painful than another text format that
would be pure text.

>  * semantics

You may have semantics with styles...

I am a bit the devil's advocate with this message but personally I
refrained from always pushing XML towards the scene. I would find pure
text documents better because of concurrent editing and possibly
automatic generation (at least to some extend). But it requires really
decent editing tools that are not free AFAIK and it prevents non-tech
people to write the documentation.

Besides that, this move would be a step towards 5.0.

--
Xavier Perseguers
http://xavier.perseguers.ch/en