[TYPO3-project-4-3] Disable Versioning and Workspaces

Marcus Krause marcus#exp2009 at t3sec.info
Fri Aug 21 12:35:58 CEST 2009

Steffen Kamper schrieb am 08/14/2009 09:07 PM Uhr:
> Hi,
>
> i talked to Rupi today and we discussed one thing i also was puzzled
> about many times while reading core:
> if (t3lib_extMgm::isLoaded('version')) ...
>
> You know, version is mandantory and can't be disabled.
>
> In real life more than 90% of my clients don't use versioning or
> workspaces, so why not give an option to disable it? There are such a
> lot queries only done for finding versioned records which are not needed
> if you don't use it, and disabling would boost performance a lot, i'm sure.
>
> So, what is your opinion?

I'm generally using versioning in every TYPO3 installation I'm working on.
Starting with versions of root template for Dev and Production server,
ending with versions for all kind of records (kind of an replacement for
the record history = somehow [svn] TAGs for records)

The goal, a faster BE experience is nice, but is it worth?

Ernesto mentions that the "separation" needs to be maintained.

I feel, that with the possibility to disable it, we're sending out a
false signal to extension developers. Numbers of extensions that do not
support versioning, will increase.

TYPO3 claims to be an ECMS. I consider versioning and workspaces as
features of an enterprise CMS. If TYPO3 is used as ECMS, versioning and
workspaces probably won't be disabled.

Marcus.

--
TYPO3 Security blog: http://secure.t3sec.info/